Our time from...
Seattle: -5 hours, +1 day
Midwest: -7 hours, +1 day

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Wee Bit O' Gardening

For the past few weeks I've been doing a bit of gardening around Chez Werst. Here are some before pictures from around December the the "back area". Note, there is not a lot going on, just two patches of dirt.



 However, after a few trips to the gardening store, Mitre 10, I was able to do a bit of a transformation. I planted "cinnamon basil", "chicken thyme", and cilantro in the bottom patch.



And strawberries and jalapenos in the top patch.

It has been two months since I took these pictures. I am sorry to say the cilantro is no longer with us. It never really took off. However, both the basil and the thyme are thriving and we use them a lot in our cooking.

We were able to eat about 3 strawberries from our plant, it is still growing, just not blooming. The real excitement these days is the development of the 3 jalapenos  on the enormous plant (look closely).


This is especially exciting because they do not sell fresh jalapenos in stores here. Only the pickled ones in jars. I'm so thrilled about these 3 peppers that they will probably end up going bad as I keep throwing out recipes as not being good enough for them.

I also planted a whole bunch of really pretty flowers in the front "yard".

However, do to massive winds, they are no longer standing upright. Although, they have not died, in fact, they are starting to grow sideways, which is somewhat curious.


That's ok. I'll take it.

1 comment:

  1. You should try some Rosemary, that stuff is pretty good and will grow almost anywhere.

    ReplyDelete